Barony of Shattered Crystal presents
Crystal Ball 2018
Ball O’ The Beasts!
November 9- 10, 2018
Bond Christian Services Camp
1119 Missouri Blvd. • Mulberry Grove, IL 62262
Look for SCA directional signs as the camp sits way back in a rural area.
Event Steward: Tiarna Cináed Ulric (who reminds one, site is DRY.)
Join us once again for a few days of tournaments armored, rapier, and youth; A&S competition; dance classes; feast; and the Ball!
Adults: $18 ($5 Member Discount)
Children Ages 6-17: $7
Children Under 5: Free
Family Cap (2 Adults, 2 Children): $40
(Overnight Camping Fees:)
If one plans to sleep on site, whether in a bunkhouse in a bunk or in a sleeping bag on the floor, in an RV, tent, or uncovered on the ground, etc., the site requires $7.50 per person per night and $3 per person per night for children ages 6 and under. Site Rules state that no discounts can be given for camping, period.
- Camping bunks will be on a first come fist serve basis. We will try to accommodate as much as possible.
- Bunk beds are available in either the Woodside Pod Bunkhouse or the Lakeside Barracks Bunkhouse. There are 146 bunks available for reservation: 64 in the Woodside Pod Bunkhouse and 82 bunks available in the Lakeside Barracks.
- One must select top or bottom bunk when pre-registering, or on arrival at site – depending upon what will be left available.
- Both bunk houses are temperature controlled, and with restroom and shower facilities. The bunk houses are handicap accessible.
- Woodside Pod Bunkhouse is divided into 4 branches, each branch has 4 “rooms” and two toilets and showers. Each room includes two bunks on each side and small closet/storage space. The Woodside Pod Bunkhouse has a central community space with couches and chairs.
- Lakeside Barracks Bunkhouse is divided into two sides. One side has an wide open area with 40 bunks, bathrooms and showers, while the other side has an wide open area with 40 bunks, two single beds, bathrooms and showers.
- There are approximately 8 RV Electric Sites. 2-4 have Water at the site or nearby.
- There are no onsite sewer hookups or dump stations.
Good Rest Inn & Such:
For those who need or much prefer a more private or posh overnight accommodation, please click HERE for a list of the closest B&B’s, Hotels, Inns, Motels, etc.
Food Fare at the Trough
Friday Night Soup Kitchen: Free – Donations Accepted
Saturday Breakfast: $5
Saturday Lunch: $6.50/person
Saturday Feast (limit 80): $14/person
Saturday Children’s Feast: $5/child
Sunday Breakfast: Free – Donations Accepted
It doth take team work to corral and organize the great beasts of the world, especially humankind! Here is our team to help answer your questions. Please, try not to growl at them. Information will be updated as volunteers come forward.
• Event Steward – Tiarna Cináed Ulric (chronicler at shatteredcrystal.org) 618-722-1339
• Deputy Steward – Lady Khadagan Kachugene
• Exchequer – Lady Cellah niTighearnaigh (Jo Fuchs), 6429 Old St Louis Rd, Belleville, Ill 62223 – (ph)618-235-9493(not after 9pm) (firstname.lastname@example.org ) Make checks payable to SCA IL Inc. – Barony of Shattered Crystal
• Chancellor of Volunteers –
• Royal Liaison –
• Chancellor of Dancing Instructors & Classes – Mistress Alphia Biraz-Pars (leopbuzz at sbcglobal.net)
• Event Chapel Master (musicians) –
• Marshal – Baron Gavin MacFergus (email@example.com)
• Youth Liaison – Mistress Caroline de Mercier (ministerofchildren at shatteredcrystal.org)
• Merchant Liaison –
• Head Cook – Mistress Berengaria Mordaunt
• Soup Steward –
• Lunch Steward – Lady Murigheal O’Seannaig (shatteredcyrstal.moas at midrealm.org)
• Feast Hall Steward (and Feast Servers) – Lady Ástríðr Árnarðóttír (seneschal at shatteredcrystal.org)
• Youth Feast Steward –
• Dessert Steward –
• Chatelaine –
• Gold Key –
• Hospitality Steward –
• Janitorial Steward –
• Carriage (Parking) Steward –
A hearty HUZZAH! – and thank you to all who volunteered behind or afore the scenes to make this event a great success.
If pre-registering for Crystal Ball remember the following:
• Adults: $18 ($5 Member Discount)
• Children Ages 6-17: $7
• Children Under 5: Free
• Family Cap (2 Adults, 2 Children): $40
If one plans to sleep on site, whether in a bunkhouse in a bunk or in a sleeping bag on the floor, in an RV, tent, or uncovered on the ground, etc., the site requires $7.50 per person per night and $3 per person per night for children ages 6 and under. Site Rules state that no discounts can be given for camping/overnight sleeping, period.
• Friday Night Soup Kitchen: Free – Donations Accepted
• Saturday Breakfast: $5
• Saturday Lunch: $6.50/person
• Saturday Feast (limit 80): $14/person
o (Feast Servers may partake at half price, $7, but must be preregistered with Event Steward or Feast Hall Steward by two hours BEFORE feast (approximately at 4:00 p.m.) Limited to 10 servers)
• Saturday Children’s Feast: $5/child
• Sunday Breakfast: Free – Donations Accepted
A: 1 Adult, paid membership to the Society plus sleeping on site Friday & Saturday evening:
($18 – $5 member discount =) $13 + (7.50 x 2 =) $15 = $28.
B: 1 Adult, non paid member to the Society plus sleeping on site Friday & Saturday evening: $18 + (7.50 x 2 =)$15 = $33.
If eating/reserving ticket to Saturday evening feast + (add) $14 A would then become $42, B would then become $47. (remember these examples are for one person only, add or subtract according to what one is planning.)
Please preregister if one would like to have one’s child eating Children’s Feast so we may know how many to prepare for. 1 Child (above age of 5), staying two nights, and having Children’s Feast would be: $7 + (7.50 x 2=) $13 + $5 =
Friday Night Soup Kitchen, Saturday morning breakfast & lunch, and Sunday morning breakfast are NOT items one can preregister. Plan accordingly. If one is having breakfast and lunch on site Saturday one will need $5 + $6.50 (11.50) per person, plus whatever one cares to contribute in donations on Friday night and Sunday morning.
Saturday evening feast:
Only 80 populace seats are available at feast. Spots will be reserved on a first come & paid basis. If you forget to include your feast fee on your pre-registration, you will NOT have a reserved ticket to the feast and must therefore take chances at the gate when you arrive.
Volunteered Servers may eat feast at half price. Please try to pre-sign up with the Feast Hall Steward via a pre-registration or an email, or sign up at gate WELL BEFORE the feast is being set up.
A waiting sign up list at gate will be kept until an hour before feast. If tickets sold out, but spots become available (someone must leave sight and not attend, becomes a server, or is asked to sit head table, etc.) their spots will become available via the “first signed in” method. Gate will note who signed up for feasting waiting list first and will attempt to contact those people, but please check back by one’s self.
Infants and toddlers (newborn – age 3) may sit at feast table, all other children who are sitting at the feast tables are considered to be taking up a spot and therefore must have that spot paid for. We do not wish to be inconsiderate or rude, but space in both room and table is quite limited.
Pre-registration cutoff date is October 26th. Pre-registrations mailed in must be postmarked by that date. Pay-Pal cuff off date is ??? ??, ????. Mail in pre-registration should be sent to: Lady Cellah niTighearnaigh (Jo Fuchs), 6429 Old St Louis Rd, Belleville, Ill 62223 – (ph)618-235-9493(not after 9pm) (firstname.lastname@example.org ) Make checks payable to SCA IL Inc. – Barony of Shattered Crystal.
If one didn’t get a chance to pre-register – one can register at the event, just one may need to adjust for food or sleeping accommodations pending pre-registrations and number of folks attending. Registration will be at the Gate in the central building at the window.
Tournament O’ The Beasts
In the lands of Shattered Crystal there is Bond Woods. Inside Bond Woods are four mysterious beasts that challenge those who travel through its shady lanes and sun kissed glades. They are, as of yet, to be defined by our scholars of fauna, but our Baron and Baroness have given offerings, applied protocol, and talked diplomatic and have bid them to compete in a tournament in lieu of hunting down our fair guests. Thus let all noble lords and ladies, knights and defenders, squires and provosts, and all other students-of-arms of the Kingdom of the Middle, or any other kingdoms know that on the 10th of November at their 35th annual Crystal Ball, Shattered Crystal barony does invite them to a display of gallantry and prowess upon the lists.
More information shall be coming soon, but the intent and format is similar to the last couple of years at Crystal Ball where a tournament allowing all forms of combat shall be held.
For more information, please contact our Knight’s Marshal: Baron Gavin MacFergus (email@example.com)
Timber Trails Campground
1276 Matts Ln, Mulberry Grove, IL 62262
Cedarbrook RV Park and Campground
1109 Mulberry Grove Rd, Mulberry Grove, IL 62262
Comfort Inn & Suites
2265 S. State Route 127, Greenville, IL 62246
Super 8 Greenville
1700 IL-127, Greenville, IL 62246
Holiday Inn Express Vandalia
21 Mattes Ave, Vandalia, IL 62471
Ramada Inn Vandalia
2707 Veterans Ave, Vandalia, IL 62471
Tibbetts House Bed, Breakfast and Books!
Amazing historic B&B about 25 minutes from the site in Highland, IL
Activities being planned so far are Mask Making, Garb-a-beastie, and Marzipan Beasts. Please check back for further details as they develop.
Reminder: it is expected at least one adult of the children is in attendance with them at children’s activities.
We have a few Arts & Science activities we’d like to hold during the day of dancing beasts.
First we would like to invite all to help us decorate by continuing that tradition of displaying one’s heraldry. We take so much time to create it, it is a complex art and science, why not display it? So, show us how you do it: on a shield, on a banner, on an outfit, on a box, or even a full (self standing) achievement display with shield, fabric, helm, animals, and all the trimmings! Help us make the site look magical by displaying your arms. Hey, it’s the medieval “Kilroy was here.”
Second we’d like folks to enter a subtle(ty) beast contest. Your choice of savory or sweet, period or modern, just make sure it looks like a beast and is good to nosh on at a dessert revel.
Entries will be judged and prizes awarded. More information will be posted as it develops.
To be updated…..
Our cooks are busy working hard to plan their menus throughout the day. Please check back for updates on what those menus shall be.
Last Updated by Webminister on 07/18/2018