Barony of Shattered Crystal and Crystal Chamfron 2017 presents the
Quest for Sleipnir A&S Competition
Oh hail great steed of Odin,
pounding over the ground
on legs of eight.
Across the nine worlds
shall they ride!
Oh stud of Svadilfari,
beast of the shamans!
Herald through to carry
unto the underworld
Ye mortals and Gods!
Oh child of Loki,
whose trickery created ye!
Come gracefully to
the halls of Valhalla
And bow down to Freya!
Murigheal – © 2017
Let’s have some inter-kingdom fun and play with horses! Crystal Chamfron 2017 hosted by the Barony of Shattered Crystal is proud to present an A&S competition focusing on our event theme – Equestrian A&S! Rules are simple and SCA standard for A&S competitions. So bring your best equestrian based crafts!
Who was Sleipnir?
Sleipnir (pronounced “SLAYP-neer”; Old Norse Sleipnir, “The Sliding One”) is the eight-legged horse of the god Odin. Sleipnir is one of Odin’s many shamanic helping spirits, ranks that also include the valkyries and Hugin and Munin, and he can probably be classified as a fylgja. Odin rides Sleipnir on his frequent journeys throughout the Nine Worlds, which are held in the branches and roots of the world-tree Yggdrasil. Sleipnir was born when the god Loki shape-shifted into a mare and became pregnant by the stallion of a giant, as is recounted in the tale of The Fortification of Asgard.
1. The Quest for Sleipnir A&S Competition is open to all SCA participants, Adult, Youth, Inter-Kingdom.
2. All entries must represent pre-seventeenth century culture and be derived from a European culture or another culture which had documentable contact with Europe during that period.
3. All entries must include an A&S project that has something to do with horses. Be sure to document how your entry applies.
4. In order to be eligible for participation, an entry:
a. Must have been completed (but not started) within the previous two years.
b. May not have been entered in any previous year’s Baronial, Regional or Kingdom level Faire/Competition.
c. Must comply with the General rules for the Faire/Competition as well as the particular category rules under which the entry is placed.
5. Any beverage, foodstuff, or herbal entry must conform to the Prohibited and Restricted Herbs list if intended for tasting and/or ingestion (including skin absorption). Any herb used in an entry must be listed in the documentation by its common English name and its Latin botanical name.
6. Brewing and Vinting Judges must be age 21 years and older. Brewing and vinting judges must be able to supply a photo identification which provides proof of age.
7. Participants and judges are required to register in advance for the Quest for Sleipnir A&S Competition. Entrants not preregistered for will not be allowed to participate.
Judges Pre-Registration Form